Friday 24 October 2008

Organism production (or... "How on earth do I actually build this thing?!")

Talked to Martin Beck (who is a legend, and so helpful!) this week abut my organism. Seems its best to build in JAVA, but I'll have to make some compromises to the original plan.

  • The "Sprites"/"Bugs" will have to be just 1 pixel dots, no faces or whatever (which limits the tamagotchi-ness... one good side effect),
  • The baby bugs can't be generated in the same cell as the parents (since reproduction is just being in the same cell, there's potential for an awful lot of incest otherwise...no, thanks!) so they'll have to be generated in a random square.
  • The bug world will be randomly generated pixel colours, as I can't feed in pictures in JAVA.

  • There will be no avoidance factor, as apparently, this gets into a lot of heavy PHD level coding... and the project is difficult enough as is.

He also ended up explaining to me some crazy JAVA stuff about Darwinian Evolution principles, so that has potential I guess... but once the rest is working.

No comments: